Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My Experiences With Socialized Medicine Part III

After seeing the Head Doctor, I was ushered down to the Heart Trauma Ward within a matter of hours.
Again, it was the same set-up. A big room with 6 curtained 'private rooms' within. I was taken to the one remaining unoccupied bed. I had been wheeled down in a gurney with a non-English speaking Sister, so I wasn't able to ascertain where I was going, or why.
By this point, I hadn't been in contact with any of my family or friends in the US. I was so totally unprepared for this kind of event that I didn't have any pocket change with me to use with the pay phone.
Which, I was soon to discover, was like something out of the early 1900's. It was crazy. They wheeled it over to your bed, a great big wooden monstrosity that seemed as heavy as lead. But, it worked, and through the effort of my new roommates, God bless them, I was able to call my father in America.
Of course, there was really nothing that he or anyone could do for me, but I felt better knowing that someone knew where I was, at least.
I found out after talking to the other women that I was indeed in the Heart Trauma Ward, and that the Doctors would be coming around pretty soon so not to worry, I'd find out what was going on.

The first time I went to use the restroom in this new ward, I hadn't realized that it was actually a Co-Ed bathroom, and that guess what? The doors wouldn't lock! It was a struggle to get in there with an IV pole and all, but I did finally accomplish my 'goal' so to speak, when the stall door swung open and I was literally exposed for all to see. The old guy who had opened the door, just stood there staring. I screamed for him to shut the f-ing door and he scurried off.
All of this and I haven't even mentioned how filthy everything was.
That bathroom was like something you'd find in a gas station, for crying out loud.
I was in that Welsh Hospital for another 3 days. In the end, I had to actually check myself out by refusing any more treatment. I was informed that, by doing so, I would no longer be welcome at that Hospital - even in the case of an Emergency.
A few months later, I'm wandering around the City Centre, doing my shopping, etc. and I run into one of the Jr. Doctors that treated me in the Hospital. He actually went out his way to apologize to me for the awful treatment that I had received there.
As you can imagine, I do not have a very complimentary view of Socialized Medicine. Partly, but not only, because of my experience in that Welsh Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment