Monday, January 18, 2010

You Must Embrace The Bagels

When I tell people that I'm a Chef, they usually seem to think that it must be a wonderfully creative profession, that I get to sit around all day dreaming up fabulous recipes, sampling all kinds of tasty foods and maybe strolling around the local Farmers Market in search of the best produce...
The reality is quite different from that. The reality is that you do basically the same repetitive tasks everyday.
The trick is to make it all consistent and of superior quality.
We sell handmade bagels, for instance. Everyday I have to make the dough, let it rest, weigh out each bagel portion, hand-form them, let them 'proof', dunk into sweetened boiling water, sprinkle various toppings on them, and then bake.
I'll tell ya, it can get pretty boring.
That's why we run specials everyday, it's a chance for us to experiment with different ideas and to just plain do something different. Sometimes a very popular special will 'make it' to the regular menu - which then, ironically, just makes it another daily task to perform.
I must warn you, though, that most restaurants use their specials boards to feature food that is about to go bad... a sad fact, I'm afraid.
And by the way, no, I don't eat gourmet meals every night. In fact, I hardly cook when I'm home at all, and usually end up eating cereal a few nights a week

No comments:

Post a Comment